wtorek, 23 maja 2017

8B GRAMMAR BANK - Reporting verbs

Structures after reporting verbs
1. Jack offered to drive me to the airport.
I promised not to tell anybody.
2. The doctor advised me to have a rest.
I persuaded my sister not to go out with George.
3. I apologize for being so late.
The police accused Karl of stealing the car.

To report what other people have said, you can use say or specific verb, e.g. ‘I’ll drive you to the airport.
Jack said he would drive me to the airport.
Jack offered to drive me to the airport.
- After specific reporting verbs, there are one to three different grammatical patterns
- in negative sentences, use the negative infinitive (not to do) or the negative gerund (not doing), e.g. He reminded me not to be late. She regretted not going to the party.


1 + to + infinitive
agree  /ə'gri:/ - zgadzać się
refuse /rə'fju:z/ - odmówić
threaten /'θretn/ - grozić
offer /'ɒf'/- oferować
promise /'prɒmɪs/ - obiecać
(not) to do something
2 + person + to + infinitive
advise /əd'vaɪz/ - radzić
ask /ɑ:sk/ - pytać
convince /kən'vɪns/ - przekonać, namówić
encourage /ɪn'kʌrɪʤ/ - zachęcić, mobilizować
invite /ɪn'vaɪ/ - zapraszać
persuade /pə'sweɪd/ - namawiać, przekonać
remind /rɪ'maɪnd - przypomnieć
tell /tel/ - powiedzieć (komuś)
warn /wɔ:n/ - ostrzegać
somebody (not) to do something
3+ ing form
apologize (to sb) for /ə'pɒləʤaɪz/ - przepraszać za
insist on /ɪn'sɪst/ - nalegać na coś
accuse sb of /ə'kju:z/ - oskarżać o coś
recommend /,rekə'mend/ - rekomendować, plecać
admit /əd'mɪt/ - przyznać
regret /rɪ'gret/ - żałować
blame sb for /bleɪm/ - obwiniać
suggest /sə'ʤest/ - sugerować
deny /dɪ'naɪ/ - zaprzeczać
(not) doing something

Verbs that use a that clause
With agree, admit, deny, promise, regret, you can also use that + clause.
Leo admitted stealing the watch.
Leo admitted that he had stolen the watch.

Ex. a
The garage advised me to buy a new car. (warsztat samochodowy)
1. Jamie insisted on paying for the meal.
2. Lauren has agreed to work late next week.
3. I warned Jane not to walk through the park at night.
4. The man admitted stealing the woman’s handbag.
5. The doctor advised Lily to give up drinking coffee.
6. The boss persuade Megan not to leave the company.
7. Freya accused me of trying to steal her boyfriend.
8. I apologize to Evie for not remembering her birthday.
9. Did you manage to convince your parents to come tonight instead of tomorrow?
10. My neighbour denies damaging my car, but I’m sure it was him.

Ex. b
Diana said to me, ‘I’ll take you to the station.’
Diana offered to take me to the station.
1. Ryan said, ‘Let’s go for a walk. It’s beautiful day.’
Ryan suggest going for a walk.
2. You copied Anna’s exam!’ the teacher said to him.
The teacher accused him of copying Anna’s exam.
3. Sam’s neighbour told him, ‘I’ll call the police if you have any more parties.’
Sam’s neighbor threatened to call the police if he had any more parties.
4. The children said, ‘We’re not going to bed. It’s much too early.’
The children refused to go to bed.
5. Simon said to me, ‘Would you like to have dinner with me?’
Simon invited me to have dinner with him.
6. Molly said to Jack, ‘Don’t forget to phone the electrician.’
Molly reminded Jack to phone the electrician.
7. Ricky said, ‘I’ll never do it again.’
Ricky promised never to do it again.
8. Sarah said, ‘You really must try Giacobazzi’s. It’s fantastic restaurant.’
Sarah recommended trying Giacobazzi’s. She said it was fantastic.

2 komentarze: